The Astoria Scandinavian Midsummer Festival Association is proud to offer scholarships to support youth that keep our Scandinavian heritage alive. At least one $1,000 scholarship will be awarded every year to a graduating high school senior. If funding allows, additional scholarships or larger amounts may be awarded. Winners are announced at their high school awards ceremony as well as at the festival Queen Coronation, on Friday, June 17, 2022.
The ASMFA Scholarship will be awarded to a graduating senior who meets the following requirements:
- Has been involved in the Astoria Scandinavian Midsummer Festival as a participant or attendee
- Is a high school graduating senior
- Has a minimum grade point of 3.00
- Will use the scholarship for post-secondary higher education at an accredited institution
- Will use the scholarship in the next academic year and be a full-time student
The completed application should include, but is not limited to:
- Student’s personal letter of introduction and statement of interest in the scholarship
- Completed scholarship application form
- High school transcript (please black out the social security number and any immunization information)
- Letter of reference from a community leader, respected friend or mentor
Mail completed applications before May 1, 2022 to:
PO Box 34, Astoria, OR 97103
The Astoria Scandinavian Heritage Association is pleased to announce the winners of this year’s ASHA scholarships. Three recipients will receive $1,000 each.
The 2022 ASHA winners are:
Alexa Calvert from Vancouver, WA, graduated from Union High School and will attend Washington State Vancouver to study biology. Alexa served as Jr. Miss Denmark in 2013 and regularly attends the festival.
Torsten Madsen from Portland, OR, graduated from Franklin High School and will attend Vefsn Folkehøgskole Toppen in Mosjøen Norway beginning this August. After his year abroad, Torsten plans to attend the University of Oregon to study Psychology. He has participated in the Astoria Scandinavian Midsummer Festival as a flag bearer and also through Sons of Norway attending summer camps.
Ava Palmberg from Astoria, OR, graduated from Astoria High School and will attend Montana State University this fall. Her dream is to own her own business in the agricultural industry. Ava is a regular festival participant and served at Jr. Miss Norway in 2011.